Beaver County Chamber of Commerce
2014 – 2015
Since its inception in 1974, the Beaver County Chamber of Commerce’s influence has been a vital and successful part of the Beaver County business community. To ensure a secure and sustainable economic future however, the Chamber has developed a new strategic plan that will address current and future initiatives, goals and partnerships.
Beaver County’s rich history of hard-working friendly people, locally-owned small businesses, and large industries remains inherent in its culture of community and home. The ten river towns of the County have long provided the heart of the community as home to Beaver County’s central business districts. Riverfront development has occurred in conjunction with Brownfields development of the many industrial sites, and new shopping centers have cropped up in various locations close to major roadways. Beaver County’s close proximity to the Pittsburgh International Airport and the City of Pittsburgh provide the County’s residents with ease to fly anywhere in the world or visit downtown Pittsburgh’s cultural center within a 45 minute drive. The motto of “Divided by its Rivers, and United by its People” could not be a more true declaration for Beaver County.
VISION: To strengthen local businesses so that Beaver County will be the premier place to live and work in the region and beyond.
MISSION: To prepare, develop and promote the community for economic growth.
- Strategic – Thinking long term for the best interests of the organization and members.
- Innovative – Applying creative approaches to develop solutions.
- Collaborative – Willingness to work with others to create effective partnerships.
- Transparency – Promoting openness and access to information.
- Diversity – Respect for all members, regardless of culture, geography, specialty, orientation, etc.
The primary objective of the Beaver County Chamber of Commerce is to support the growth and improvement of our local economy.
GOAL 1: ENHANCE MEMBERSHIP PARTICIPATION AND VALUE
Objective 1: Be a vital resource to the business community.
- Initiative 1: Continue to further develop the Chamber’s website regarding business related resources and connections.
- Initiative 2: Develop additional partnerships with organizations and entities that can offer assistance and benefits to the business community.
Objective 2: Strengthen the Chamber through increased memberships and member retention by being an advocate for member businesses and strengthening member benefits.
- Initiative 1: Develop a prospective member communication plan to attract new members.
- Initiative 2: Evaluate membership levels, dues, etc. to determine the feasibility of offering new membership programs.
- Initiative 3: Enhance the Member 2 Member Discounts program and encourage members to utilize other member’s good and services.
Objective 3: Allow for organizational transparency.
- Initiative 1: Develop Annual Report and communicate such on Chamber’s website and other means.
- Initiative 2: Organizational information will be provided at the Chamber’s annual member meeting.
GOAL 2: PROMOTE ECONOMIC AND SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS GROWTH
Objective 1: Support initiatives of the Economic Development Committee
Objective 2: Support initiatives of the Government Affairs Committee
Objective 3: Further develop partnerships with local economic development organizations.
- Initiative 1: Utilize and cultivate existing partnerships (Beaver County Government, Pittsburgh Regional Alliance, Allegheny Conference, BC Corporation for Economic Development) and development new partnerships for the improvement of the local economy.
Objective 4: Further develop resources for business relocation, start up and expansion.
- Initiative 1: Enhance the Chamber’s website to include more resources for businesses including employee relocation packets and other pertinent information.
Objective 5: Form a Marketing Committee for the purpose of marketing the Chamber, the Chamber Members, and Beaver County.
GOAL 3: STRENGHTEN THE ORGANIZATION
Objective 1: Strengthen the Board of Directors.
- Initiative 1: Develop the Nominating Committee into the Board Development Committee.
- Initiative 2: Identify new leadership for the Board and Standing Committees.
- Initiative 3: Identify the ideal board composition.
- Initiative 4: Provide orientation for new board members.
Objective 2: Develop a Board Policy Manual.
- Initiative 1: Develop and implement policies and processes and review annually with any needed updates. Policies and processes such as:
a. Conflict of Interest
d. Board Self-Assessment and Accountability
e. Others as needed.
Objective 3: Encourage staff development.
- Initiative 1: Provide training and professional development opportunities.
- Initiative 2: Provide annual performance reviews.